The reconfiguration of Allen Parkway to improve public safety and enhance connections to Buffalo Bayou Park.
The project’s overall scope included:
• realignment and repaving of the roadway, with main eastbound and westbound travel lanes shifted southward to a low utilization frontage street
• creation of 140 parking spaces adjacent to Buffalo Bayou Park, in the right-of-way area formerly occupied by westbound travel lanes
• upgrades to storm drainage
• two new and one restored signalized intersection
• one new pedestrian-activated traffic signal at the crossing between Allen Parkway Village and Eleanor Tinsley Park in addition to pedestrian crosswalks at Dunlavy, Taft, and Gillette
• a new east-to-westbound u-turn vehicular bridge over an Allen Parkway underpass at Waugh
• extensive median landscaping and irrigation, including 200+ trees
• addition of LED street lighting
Total project cost $14,300,000.